A bombshell Sussex decision has rocked royal circles — Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly preparing to move back to Britain THIS MONTH with Archie and Lilibet, six years after their dramatic exit. King Charles was reportedly only told on Sunday, while William and Kate have also been informed. But the biggest clue that this is far more than another UK visit is a major step Harry and Meghan are already said to have taken involving their children. Six years in America. A sudden royal U-turn. And a family move few saw coming.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Set for UK Return This Month With Archie and Lilibet

Archie, seven, and Lilibet, five, are set to enrol in a British school (the family are pictured in December 2025)

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly preparing to move back to Britain within days, marking a dramatic change for the Sussex family six years after they left the UK for a new life in North America.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are understood to be returning for an “extended period” before the end of August. Their children, Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five, are expected to enrol at a British school when the new term begins in September.

Despite the significance of the move, Harry and Meghan are not planning to resume life as working royals. The family is expected to live in a private, non-royal residence, while their exact location will remain confidential.

King Charles informed only days before news emerged

The decision appears to have come as a surprise within royal circles.

King Charles was reportedly informed by Harry on Sunday that the family intended to return later this month. Prince William and Princess Kate have also been told of the plans.

The King is understood to “welcome” the prospect of spending more time with Harry and his family privately. However, his position regarding the Sussexes’ official status remains unchanged.

There will reportedly be “no alteration” to Harry and Meghan’s roles as private individuals and non-working members of the Royal Family, consistent with the arrangements established after they stepped back from royal duties.

Sources have similarly stressed that returning to the royal fold is not part of the Sussexes’ plans.

Significantly, the subject of moving back to Britain was reportedly not raised when Harry, Meghan, Archie and Lilibet met Charles at Highgrove earlier this summer.

Archie and Lilibet preparing for British school

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (pictured in February) are said to be returning before the end of the month

One of the clearest signs that this is more than a brief visit is the reported plan for Archie and Lilibet to begin school in Britain in September.

Harry had already been expected back in the country next month for the WellChild Awards, with arrangements reportedly made for him to stay at Buckingham Palace.

Meghan and Harry (pictured with Lilibet in April) are set to keep hold of their £11million mansion in California

Those plans are no longer necessary because the entire Sussex family is now believed to be returning within the next two weeks.

It remains unclear whether the relocation will ultimately become permanent. According to reports, the family intends to spend an extended period in Britain before determining its longer-term plans.

For privacy reasons, neither their new home nor the children’s school has been disclosed.

Sussexes will keep their California home

A return to Britain does not mean Harry and Meghan are completely leaving their American life behind.

The couple reportedly intend to retain their £11 million mansion in Montecito, California, where they have lived since relocating permanently to the United States in March 2020.

They also own a property in Portugal, purchased three years ago at the Costa Terra resort.

The family visited the Portuguese property last month, with Meghan sharing photographs from the trip featuring beaches, swimming pools and restaurants.

Maintaining homes in California and Portugal would give the Sussexes considerable flexibility even if Britain becomes their principal base for the immediate future.

Six years since their dramatic royal exit

King Charles is understood to have found out about his son's impending move back to Britain on Sunday (the pair are seen together in 2022)

Harry and Meghan’s reported return comes six years after their decision to step back as senior working royals sent shockwaves through the monarchy.

The couple, who married in 2018, announced their decision without first consulting then-Prince Charles, Camilla or Prince William, prompting intense criticism at the time.

Following a 12-month review, Queen Elizabeth II confirmed that Harry and Meghan could not continue with the “responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service” while pursuing their new independent lives.

The arrangement also ruled out the “half in, half out” model the couple had initially hoped to pursue. Harry subsequently lost his honorary military appointments.

After spending time on Vancouver Island in Canada, the Sussexes settled permanently in California in March 2020.

Controversy followed their departure

The years surrounding the Sussexes’ exit were accompanied by considerable controversy over their relationship with Palace staff.

Reports emerged that Meghan had been nicknamed “Duchess Difficult,” while allegations were made that some employees had experienced bullying and had been reduced to tears.

Meghan strongly denied the claims and characterised their publication as part of an orchestrated smear campaign against her.

Royal correspondent Valentine Low, who first reported the bullying allegations in March 2021 shortly before Harry and Meghan’s interview with Oprah Winfrey, later claimed that some former staff members remained deeply affected by their experiences.

According to Low, employees had already been aware of reports suggesting difficult relations between Meghan and members of staff, while Meghan herself had challenged that portrayal.

He further claimed that some former Sussex employees remained in a “very fragile state” more than two years later and feared potential repercussions despite Harry and Meghan having relocated thousands of miles away.

Harry and William’s relationship remains strained

Harry’s departure from royal life was followed by a significant deterioration in his relationships with both his father and his elder brother.

His relationship with Prince William is believed to remain particularly difficult.

The brothers are not thought to have spoken for years, while William and Kate were reportedly deeply hurt by claims made in Harry’s memoir Spare and other public appearances.

It is not yet known where Harry and Meghan will be living when they move later this month (The Duke and Duchess are seen with Princess Kate Middleton and Prince William in 2022)

Royal author Phil Dampier previously noted that William and Harry had managed to put their differences aside when they unveiled a statue of Princess Diana five years ago, but suggested the relationship had since deteriorated further.

Dampier said he believed William would now struggle to meet Harry even for an occasion honouring their late mother.

With the 30th anniversary of Diana’s death approaching next year, such an occasion could theoretically offer another opportunity for the brothers to appear together, although Dampier expressed doubts that William would want to do so.

According to him, William is focused on his future with Catherine and their children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.

A recent reunion with King Charles

Relations between Harry and his father, however, have shown signs of movement.

Harry has reportedly missed Britain and has been described as keen for Archie and Lilibet to experience life in his home country.

Only last month, Harry, Meghan and their children reunited privately with Charles, four years after the King had last seen Archie and Lilibet.

William, Charles and Harry are pictured at the procession for the Lying-in-State of Queen Elizabeth in 2022

The Sussex family was welcomed by Charles and Camilla at Highgrove House in Gloucestershire, a meeting viewed as a potential step toward repairing Harry’s relationship with his father.

Charles and Camilla had both faced criticism in Harry’s 2023 memoir, but the Duke travelled to see his father the following year after the King’s cancer diagnosis became public.

Harry is also said to hope that Charles will join him in opening next summer’s Invictus Games, something that could become another significant moment in their relationship. Whether that will happen remains unknown.

A very different kind of return

If the reported move proceeds as expected, Harry and Meghan will return to Britain under circumstances very different from those they left behind six years ago.

They will not resume official royal duties, nor is there currently any suggestion that their status within the monarchy will change.

Instead, their return is expected to centre on private family life, with Archie and Lilibet beginning school in Britain while Harry and Meghan establish a non-royal home.

Sources suggest that King Charles 'welcomes' the opportunity to see more of his family (Harry, Meghan, Charles and Camilla are seen together in 2022)

The couple will retain their Montecito mansion and Portuguese residence, leaving open the possibility that their living arrangements could continue to evolve.

For now, however, the most significant change is expected within weeks: after six years building their lives abroad, Harry and Meghan are reportedly preparing to bring their children back to Britain and make the UK their home for an extended period.

Related Posts

MISS UNFORGOTTEN? Then This One Deserves Your Full Attention. Nicola Walker Is At Her Best In This Gripping British Crime Thriller—and Viewers Are Already Calling It A Must-watch. If Unforgotten left you craving another intelligent, emotionally charged investigation, this lesser-known thriller could be exactly what you’ve been waiting for. Nicola Walker brings her trademark intensity to a tense British mystery filled with complicated characters, buried secrets, and revelations that keep the investigation moving. Rather than relying on cheap shocks, the drama builds its tension through atmosphere, character, and the slow discovery of what really happened. The mystery deepens. The secrets multiply. And Nicola Walker makes every moment count. For anyone missing the quiet intensity of Unforgotten, this could be the next British crime obsession worth discovering.

Congratulations! You’ve earned 1 point OK A true icon of primetime British drama, Nicola Walker has starred in some of the nation’s favourite crime shows. From ITV’s cold case…

Prince Harry has made a surprise appearance in a newly released video — and what he chose to say in the unexpected clip is drawing attention. The footage was quietly recorded during Harry’s five-day UK visit last July but has only now emerged. Speaking directly to camera, the Duke opened up about one particular community he says he can “really relate to” — before making a remarkably personal admission about what the relationship gives him in return. One unexpected video. One revealing admission. And a side of Harry rarely heard this openly.

Congratulations! You’ve earned 1 point OK Prince Harry Makes Surprise Appearance in New UK Charity Video and Opens Up About His Personal Connection Prince Harry has made…

The real reason Duchess Sophie was missing from Princess Diana’s funeral has been revealed nearly three decades later — and it wasn’t because she wanted to stay away from the grieving Royal Family. Sophie was already seriously involved with Prince Edward when Diana was laid to rest in 1997, yet she was conspicuously absent as billions watched the historic farewell. According to a royal biography, Sophie made the decision herself after realizing one particular detail about her presence could have an unexpected effect on the devastated crowds lining London’s streets. The reason behind Sophie’s absence is more poignant than many realized.

Congratulations! You’ve earned 1 point OK Duchess Sophie has become one of the Royal Family’s most prominent and trusted working members, but nearly three decades ago, she…

King Charles’s reaction to Harry and Meghan’s shock move back to the UK has now been revealed — but what reportedly happened after the monarch learned of their plans is the detail attracting attention. Charles was informed on Sunday, just weeks after his private reunion with Harry at Highgrove. With Archie and Lilibet reportedly enrolled in British schools and the Sussexes preparing for a major return after years in California, the King’s response could offer a revealing glimpse into where the family relationship really stands.

Congratulations! You’ve earned 1 point OK Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are preparing for a significant return to the UK, more than six years after stepping away…

Dolly Parton Never Disappoints. At 77, Dolly Parton Walked Onto The Dallas Cowboys’ Thanksgiving Halftime Stage In A Cheerleader-Inspired Outfit — Then “Jolene,” “9 To 5” And One Unexpected Rock Classic Had Fans Calling Her An “American Treasure”

Congratulations! You’ve earned 1 point OK Dolly Parton Fans Call Her a Legend After Unforgettable Halftime Performance Dolly Parton gave football fans an unexpected holiday treat when…

Brought Patriotic Tears to My Eyes. Alan Jackson Didn’t Need A Flashy Production To Make “America The Beautiful” Hit Hard — His Heartfelt Fourth Of July Performance Still Has Veterans And Country Fans Talking Years Later.

Congratulations! You’ve earned 1 point OK Alan Jackson Delivers Moving Rendition of “America the Beautiful” for 4th of July Special Alan Jackson brought a heartfelt sense of…