£34.5 MILLION is at stake — and Prince Harry is now just days away from a bombshell court decision following his brutal attack on the ruling that ended his high-profile legal battle. After an 11-week trial ended in defeat, Harry publicly branded the outcome a “complete and obvious whitewash.” But another crucial ruling is now looming, with almost £10 million being sought upfront from the seven claimants as the enormous costs are considered. £34.5 million in reported legal costs. An August 28 deadline. And one decision just days away that could reveal how expensive Harry’s defeat will become.

Prince Harry Faces Major Court Ruling as Potentially Huge Legal Bill Looms After Daily Mail Case Defeat

Prince Harry is preparing to learn the financial consequences of his unsuccessful legal battle against the publisher of the Daily Mail, with a High Court decision on costs expected to reveal how much he and six other high-profile claimants will initially be required to pay.

The Duke of Sussex, 41, was among seven claimants — including Sir Elton John, Elizabeth Hurley, Sadie Frost and Baroness Doreen Lawrence — who brought legal action against Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL), alleging unlawful information gathering.

Their claims were dismissed in their entirety last month by Mr Justice Nicklin following an 11-week trial at London’s High Court. ANL had consistently denied the allegations.

Attention has now shifted from the outcome of the case to its potentially enormous financial consequences, with the court previously hearing that the publisher had incurred approximately £34.5 million in legal costs.

Court decision on costs expected

Bombshell Prince Harry decision days away after his brutal attack | Royal |  News | Express.co.uk

The next significant development is expected this week, when Mr Justice Nicklin is due to determine an interim costs payment.

ANL has sought almost £10 million from the seven claimants as an interim payment. Their legal team, meanwhile, offered £8 million and confirmed that insurance was in place covering costs of up to £16 million.

The final amount the claimants will ultimately have to pay has not yet been determined.

At the conclusion of the costs hearing, Mr Justice Nicklin said he would decide on a “global” interim figure that would then be divided between the seven claimants.

Payment is due by August 28.

That decision could provide the clearest indication yet of the financial impact of the failed litigation on Harry and his fellow claimants.

Harry criticised the judgment after his defeat

The case centred on allegations that journalists, private investigators and others working for ANL had obtained private information through unlawful methods.

The claimants alleged practices including voicemail interception, landline tapping and obtaining confidential information through deception.

ANL strongly denied wrongdoing throughout the proceedings.

Following the dismissal of their claims, Harry and Baroness Doreen Lawrence issued a strongly worded response, describing the judgment as a “complete and obvious whitewash”.

“We came to court seeking justice and accountability,” they said. “But we have received neither.”

Despite their criticism of the outcome, lawyers representing the claimants subsequently accepted that a costs order should follow their defeat.

£34.5 million legal bill at centre of dispute

Image 1

The scale of ANL’s reported expenditure has now made the costs ruling particularly significant.

The High Court heard last month that the publisher had accumulated approximately £34.5 million in costs during the litigation.

ANL requested an interim payment approaching £10 million, while the claimants proposed £8 million.

Their lawyers also confirmed the existence of insurance providing up to £16 million in coverage. However, depending on the final costs assessment, a substantial difference could potentially remain.

The judge must now decide the appropriate interim figure before the broader costs are ultimately resolved.

Another important decision could increase the financial consequences

Image 2

The amount itself is not the only issue still before the court.

Mr Justice Nicklin must also determine whether ANL’s costs should eventually be assessed on a standard or indemnity basis.

ANL argued at the previous hearing for indemnity costs, which could result in a more financially onerous outcome for the unsuccessful claimants.

Harry and the other claimants’ lawyers accepted that they should face a costs order following the dismissal of their case but argued that imposing indemnity costs would not be justified.

That distinction could therefore become highly significant when the final financial consequences are calculated.

Potential appeal takes a back seat

Image 3

Questions surrounding a possible appeal have not yet been resolved.

Any arguments on that issue have been deferred while the court deals with costs, meaning the immediate focus remains on Mr Justice Nicklin’s forthcoming decision.

For Harry, the ruling marks another crucial stage in a legal battle that has already ended in a comprehensive courtroom defeat.

The claims themselves have been dismissed, but with £34.5 million in reported costs, an interim payment potentially running into millions and an August 28 payment deadline approaching, the financial aftermath of the case is only now beginning to become clear.

Related Posts

A newly released video has revealed what Queen Camilla was secretly going through in the days after King Charles’s cancer diagnosis — when, in her own words, “nobody could say anything.” For the first time, an emotional Camilla describes the moment she nearly let the devastatingly private news slip while standing among cancer patients, admitting she was “longing to let it out” but knew she couldn’t. The footage also reveals how Charles reacted behind closed doors after receiving his diagnosis — offering a rare glimpse into one of the Royal Family’s most difficult private moments.

Congratulations! You’ve earned 1 point OK Queen Camilla Opens Up for First Time About the ‘Difficult’ Secret She Carried After King Charles’s Cancer Diagnosis Queen Camilla has…

8 years ago, Princess Eugenie may have secretly teased the name she would one day give her baby daughter — without anyone realising it. The remarkable clue dates back to her 2018 wedding to Jack Brooksbank, when Eugenie wore two historic royal jewels originally created for a 19th-century Queen. Now that her newborn daughter’s name has finally been revealed, that forgotten detail suddenly carries a striking new significance. Eight years. Two priceless heirlooms. One name hidden in royal history all along.

Congratulations! You’ve earned 1 point OK Princess Eugenie May Have Quietly Teased Her Baby Daughter’s Name Eight Years Ago Princess Eugenie has only just revealed the name…

Wolf Hall Fans, You’re Going To Want This One. This “Absolutely Brilliant” Bbc Historical Drama Boasts A Near-perfect 98% Rating—and Viewers Are Calling It Essential Viewing. Some historical dramas entertain you. Others completely transport you. This acclaimed BBC epic has earned a remarkable 98% rating, with viewers praising its powerful storytelling, extraordinary performances, and richly recreated historical world.

Congratulations! You’ve earned 1 point OK A star-studded BBC period drama that brings some of Shakespeare’s most famous history plays to the screen is now available to…

Start Watching At Your Own Risk—You May Not Get Anything Else Done. Netflix’s “Seriously Underrated” Sci-fi Gem Has A Perfect 100% Rotten Tomatoes Score, And Viewers Are Devouring It.

Congratulations! You’ve earned 1 point OK Netflix fans are urging people to check out a binge-worthy sci-fi show on the streaming platform that has gone relatively unnoticed,…

100% On Rotten Tomatoes—And Somehow Almost Nobody Is Talking About It. This Lesser-known Netflix Sci-fi Gem Is So Addictive, Viewers Are Racing Through It As Fast As Possible.

Congratulations! You’ve earned 1 point OK Science fiction fans have been left baffled by a lesser-known TV show on Netflix which mixes sci-fi themes of time-travel with a post-apocalyptic…

DON’T START THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE TIME TO FINISH IT. Nicola Walker And Billie Piper’s “Addictive” London Detective Thriller Has Just Arrived On Netflix—and It’s Already Pulling Viewers Into One Case After Another.

Congratulations! You’ve earned 1 point OK Netflix’s Collateral: The Four-Part Detective Thriller With Carey Mulligan, Nicola Walker And Billie Piper Sometimes the best crime dramas are the…