‘Good Riddance!’ Montecito Locals Deliver a Savage Farewell to Prince Harry and ‘Laughing Stock’ Meghan Markle as the Sussexes Prepare to Abandon Their California Life and Make a Shock Move Back to Britain After Six Years in America

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Montecito Neighbours Deliver Brutal “Good Riddance” Verdict as Couple Prepare for UK Return

*FILE IMAGES* Prince Harry And Meghan Markle Will Return To Britain After Six Years In U.S. - 20 Aug 2026

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s reported decision to leave California for Britain has sparked a remarkably blunt reaction from some of their Montecito neighbours, with residents quoted as saying they are glad to see the Sussexes go.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are reportedly preparing to relocate to the UK at the end of this month, six years after leaving Britain to establish a new life in America. The couple are expected to settle in a private, non-royal residence outside London.

Their children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, have also reportedly been enrolled in British schools ahead of the family’s move.

As attention turns to their next chapter in Britain, however, some people living and working around their exclusive California community have offered a distinctly unsentimental farewell.

“I’m glad they’re leaving. Good riddance”

An older woman with grey hair and glasses stands in front of bookshelves, wearing a floral shirt and red t-shirt.

According to The Sun, shop workers, dog walkers and other Montecito residents criticised the couple’s relationship with the community, with some claiming Harry and Meghan had increasingly isolated themselves.

One resident named Jennifer, who previously worked at a store Meghan regularly visited, was particularly critical of the duchess.

“She became a laughing stock here because all she would do is steal other people’s looks and ideas,” Jennifer claimed.

Despite her criticism, she also expressed concern about what lies ahead for the couple.

“I feel sorry for them but hope they find happiness,” she said. “I feel they have ostracised themselves here and abroad. I fear for their future.”

Another shop employee offered an even sharper response to news of the reported departure.

“I’m glad they’re leaving. Good riddance,” the person said.

The employee also complained about Meghan mentioning the local Butterfly Beach on her show, claiming the exposure had “ruined it” for them.

Residents take aim at Sussexes’ security presence

A general view of the entryway to a private road leading to Britain's Prince Harry's and his wife, Duchess of Sussex Meghan's home in Montecito

Harry and Meghan’s security arrangements also attracted criticism from one of the residents quoted in the report.

“They’re the only celebrities here who go around with bodyguards,” the person claimed.

The resident contrasted the Sussexes with other famous people living in the wealthy California enclave, adding: “Other A-listers just as famous and likely richer than them walk around casually like any normal person.”

The comments reflect the opinions of the individual residents quoted in the report and should not be taken as representing the views of Montecito as a whole.

Moving to Britain won’t mean a return to royal duties

While Harry and Meghan’s relocation would represent a major change for their family, their position within the monarchy is not expected to change.

The couple are understood to remain private individuals and non-working members of the Royal Family after returning to Britain.

They will also reportedly not be offered the “half-in-half-out” arrangement that would allow them to combine an independent life with an official working role within the monarchy.

King Charles was reportedly informed about the planned relocation on Sunday, only three days before news of it became public. The King is understood to welcome the opportunity to spend more time privately with Harry, Meghan and their children.

Neither Buckingham Palace nor Kensington Palace has issued a statement about the reported move.

For the Sussexes, leaving Montecito would close a significant chapter that began after their departure from frontline royal life six years ago. But judging by the reaction of some residents quoted in the latest report, not everyone in their California neighbourhood will be mourning their departure.

Related Posts

95% ON ROTTEN TOMATOES—AND VIEWERS SAY IT LEAVES YOU ON THE EDGE OF YOUR SEAT. BBC’s ‘Spine-Tingling’ Cr*me Drama Has Landed On Prime Video, Giving Thr*ller Fans Another Chance To Discover This Acclaimed Hidden Gem

Congratulations! You’ve earned 1 point OK Gillian Anderson and Jamie Dornan’s 95%-Rated Crime Thriller The Fall Is Now Streaming on Prime Video Crime drama fans looking for…

Netflix Viewers Are Hailing This Dark, Addictive Mystery As ‘One Of The Best Out There’—And One Case Slowly Tears An Entire Community Apart

Congratulations! You’ve earned 1 point OK Crime drama viewers looking for a lesser-known series to binge may want to add Inspector Ellis to their watchlist. The Channel…

Meghan Markle’s Hopes for a UK Acting Comeback Are Thrown Into Doubt as Her Reported Netflix Role Is ‘Withdrawn’, Raising Fresh Questions About the Career Opportunity Said to Be Behind Her Surprise Return to Britain

Congratulations! You’ve earned 1 point OK Meghan Markle’s Reported UK Acting Comeback Thrown Into Doubt as Claim Emerges The Gentlemen Casting Has Been “Withdrawn” Meghan Markle’s potential…

Prince William Reportedly Breaks His Silence On Prince Harry And Meghan Markle’s UK Return—And His Blunt Reaction Leaves Little Doubt About How Complicated Their Homecoming Could Become. As The Sussexes Prepare For A New Chapter In Britain, Fresh Claims About The Future King’s Response Have Put The Brothers’ Royal Rift Back Under Intense Scrutiny, Raising Questions About What Happens When Harry Is Once Again Living Much Closer To The Family He Left Behind.

Congratulations! You’ve earned 1 point OK William’s Fury? Harry and Meghan’s UK Return Reignites Royal Family Rift Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s reported return to Britain has…

Good riddance…That’s the brutal three-word farewell reportedly coming from Montecito as Prince Harry and Meghan Markle prepare to leave California — and it wasn’t the only stinging verdict. Some neighbours in the celebrity enclave have reportedly branded the Sussexes a “laughing stock,” accusing them of isolating themselves and standing out even in a town filled with A-listers. After six years of building their post-royal life in America, Harry and Meghan are now preparing for a dramatic return to Britain. But just as attention turns to the reception awaiting them in the UK, the unexpectedly savage reaction from people back in Montecito is creating headlines of its own.

Congratulations! You’ve earned 1 point OK Prince Harry and Meghan Face Harsh Montecito Send-Off as Some Neighbours Say ‘Good Riddance’ Ahead of UK Return Prince Harry and…

£93,000 on the line… and a RECORD 12 finalists risked everything on one last 30-second puzzle. After making The 1% Club history, all 12 rejected the safer £10,000 split and went for the jackpot. Then Lee Mack revealed a brutal letters challenge hidden inside the phrase “ONE SELLING FRESH SALMON.” The clock hit zero. Only three contestants had cracked it — David, Ellis and Govind — splitting the entire jackpot and walking away with £31,000 each. 12 finalists. One hidden word. Just three winners.

Congratulations! You’ve earned 1 point OK The 1% Club makes history as record 12 finalists gamble for £93,000 — but only three crack brutal final puzzle The…