Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Reported UK Move Branded a ‘Huge Slap in the Face’ to Prince William — as Royal Insiders Warn Their Return Could Create ‘Serious Risks’ for the Monarchy. With the Sussexes potentially rebuilding a stronger presence in Britain, attention is rapidly turning to how William might react after years of deeply personal fallout with his brother. But the concern reportedly extends far beyond their fractured relationship, with fears that Harry and Meghan’s next chapter could reopen old wounds at the worst possible moment for the Royal Family.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Reported U.K. Return Could Create New Pressure for Prince William and the Monarchy

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle at a service for Queen Elizabeth II's coffin.

Prince Harry, seen above with Markle in 2022, previously said he couldn’t “see a world” where he moved back to his homeland.Getty Images

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s reported plan to spend an extended period back in the United Kingdom is already raising fresh questions inside royal circles — particularly about what the move could mean for Prince William.

According to Page Six, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are expected to return to Britain later this month after six years based primarily in Southern California. While the move is not being described as permanent, royal reporter Tom Sykes believes it could create a series of difficult situations for the Prince of Wales and the wider monarchy.

“It’s a huge slap in the face for William, and it does also create serious risks for the monarchy,” Sykes told the outlet.

His concern centers on the fact that Harry and William’s relationship remains deeply strained, even as Harry appears to be moving physically closer to the royal family again.

Harry’s return could create awkward royal decisions

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry sitting together and smiling.

Sykes told us things “haven’t worked out in America” for Prince Harry and Markle, pictured above at a previous event, “the way they thought they would.”

Sykes argued that Harry’s presence in Britain could force the royal family to confront situations that were easier to avoid when the Sussexes were living thousands of miles away.

He pointed to possible family and ceremonial occasions that could quickly become complicated.

“What is gonna happen if Charles invites Harry to join the royal family for Christmas?” Sykes asked. “What is gonna happen if Harry wants to attend the Remembrance Day celebrations?”

Those questions highlight the practical problem created by Harry’s reported return.

The Duke stepped away from working royal life in 2020, but he remains the King’s son and a highly recognizable member of the family. If he spends considerably more time in Britain, decisions about private gatherings and public royal occasions could become harder to manage.

Sykes described the situation as creating a “huge succession” of challenges for William.

King Charles reportedly learned of the plans before the move

Sykes also said he did not believe King Charles could have been unaware of the Sussexes’ intentions.

“There’s no way” Charles “did not know” the move was happening, he said.

A source told Page Six that the King learned of Harry and Meghan’s plans on Sunday.

Sykes went further, arguing that Charles had placed himself in a difficult position by reopening the door to his younger son.

He described it as “a very very dangerous situation” and claimed Charles had “allowed himself to be manipulated into welcoming them home.”

That assessment is Sykes’ opinion rather than an official Palace position.

He also argued that Queen Elizabeth II would not have handled the situation in the same way, saying he believed “there’s no way” the late monarch would have allowed it to unfold similarly.

The move is reportedly for an extended period, not permanently

Catherine, Princess of Wales, Prince William, Prince of Wales, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, walk together in front of Windsor Castle.
Sykes called the plan “a huge slap in the face for William,” seen here with Kate Middleton, Harry and Markle in 2022.Getty Images
Prince William, Prince Harry, Meghan Markle, and Kate Middleton attending a service to commemorate the centenary of WW1 armistice.
Sykes said it presents a “huge succession” of additional “challenges” for Prince William. He’s seen here with Prince Harry, Markle and Middleton in 2018.Getty Images

Page Six reports that Harry and Meghan are not giving up their life in California entirely.

The couple reportedly plans to remain in Britain for an extended period, while keeping their $14.5 million Montecito estate.

The move would nevertheless represent the Sussex family’s most significant return to the U.K. since Harry and Meghan stepped down as working royals in 2020.

Their children, Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five, are also expected to attend school in Britain during the stay.

Sykes described the development as “a huge moment for Harry and Meghan” and their children.

He admitted that although he had suspected “something was afoot,” he had not expected a development of this scale or speed.

The idea that the Sussexes could relocate by the end of the month, he said, was “quite extraordinary.”

Why Harry and Meghan reportedly want to return

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, on the balcony of Buckingham Palace.
Royal reporter Tom Sykes told Page Six Wednesday that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s plan to move back to the UK will present challenges to Prince William and the royal family. (Markle, Harry and William are pictured above with Kate Middleton in 2018.)Getty Images
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle pose at the David Foster Foundation 40th Anniversary Celebration.
Sykes said the couple’s move back creates “serious risks for the monarchy.” The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are seen here at an event earlier this month.The David Foster Foundation via Getty Images

Sources previously told Page Six that the couple’s decision is centered on family.

Harry reportedly wants to spend more time near King Charles, who is living with cancer, while both he and Meghan want Archie and Lilibet to have more opportunities to build relationships with relatives in Britain.

The move comes after Harry reunited with his father in July.

Harry has previously spoken openly about concerns regarding Charles’ health. In an interview with the BBC last year, he said: “I don’t know how much longer my father has.”

That reunion appears to have been an important moment in the changing relationship between father and son.

Sykes questions whether California worked out as expected

While family is reportedly the central reason behind the move, Sykes suggested another factor could be involved.

He argued that Harry and Meghan’s life in the United States had not developed exactly as they may have expected.

“It’s very clear the things haven’t worked out in America the way they thought they would,” he said.

Meghan launched her lifestyle brand As Ever and hosted the Netflix series With Love, Meghan, which ran for two seasons.

Sykes suggested the Sussexes’ current circumstances may also have a financial dimension.

“I think if there was another hundred-million-dollar deal on the table they wouldn’t be rushing home,” he said.

That claim is Sykes’ interpretation and has not been confirmed by Harry, Meghan or their representatives.

Harry previously said he could not imagine bringing his family back

The reported move is particularly striking because Harry had previously expressed serious doubts about returning to Britain with Meghan and their children.

In 2025, he said he “can’t see a world in which I would bring my wife and children back to the UK at this point.”

At the time, security remained one of his biggest concerns.

Harry has continued to wait for a review of his security arrangements by the government committee Ravec, and it remains unclear what protection will be available to his family during an extended stay.

The contrast between his earlier remarks and the current reports shows how much may have changed over the past year.

William remains the biggest unresolved issue

Whatever progress Harry may have made with Charles, the relationship with William appears to remain frozen.

There has been no confirmation that the brothers have spoken or that William supports Harry’s decision to spend more time in Britain.

That unresolved feud is why Sykes believes the move could become much more than a private family decision.

Harry’s physical return means the royal family could repeatedly face questions about whether he should be included in gatherings, ceremonies or public moments — and how William would respond.

For now, the Sussexes’ return is being described as an extended stay rather than a permanent relocation.

But after six years in California, even that temporary shift is significant enough to reopen old tensions.

Harry may be moving closer to his father and his homeland, but whether that brings him any closer to William remains another matter entirely.

Related Posts

Just Press Play. The Next Episode Will Take Care Of The Rest. Netflix Viewers Are Already Calling This Twist-filled Drama Their Next Binge Obsession. It starts with a story that seems easy enough to follow. Then the first twist lands. Suddenly, nothing feels certain. With an exceptional cast, gripping performances, and a storyline that keeps changing direction, the drama has viewers constantly second-guessing what they think they know. Every episode brings another revelation, another surprise, and another reason to keep watching. The cast pulls you in. The twists keep you guessing. The story refuses to play fair. And by the time you reach the final episode, you’ll understand why so many Netflix viewers couldn’t stop at “just one.”

Congratulations! You’ve earned 1 point OK View 3 Images Rufus Sewell is starring in Netflix’s upcoming New Zealand drama Fans of twisty family dramas are urged to…

One Of Literature’s Most Infamous Antiheroines Is Coming To Netflix. Florence Pugh Leads A Lavish New 7-part Period Drama—And Viewers Are Racing To Read The “Masterpiece” Novel First. Some stories are simply adapted. Others arrive with an entire literary legacy behind them. Florence Pugh takes on one of literature’s most unforgettable antiheroines in this ambitious seven-part Netflix period drama, bringing a celebrated novel to the screen in what promises to be an epic yet deeply intimate story. With lavish costumes, sweeping settings, complex relationships, and a character whose choices refuse to fit neatly into good or bad, the series already has period-drama fans paying attention. And there’s another sign of just how much anticipation is building: viewers are reportedly rushing to discover the “masterpiece” novel before the adaptation arrives. A legendary character. A beloved novel. A major Netflix adaptation. Now the race is on—not just to watch Florence Pugh bring the story to life, but to discover why generations of readers have never forgotten her.

Congratulations! You’ve earned 1 point OK East of Eden Release Date Confirmed as Fans Prepare for Florence Pugh’s Take on Cathy Ames Period drama fans finally have…

She Travelled To Jamaica To Settle An Inheritance. She Didn’t Expect To Find The House She’d Been Dreaming About. This “Excellent” Five-part Thriller Is Leaving Viewers Completely Hooked. Gugu Mbatha-Raw leads this haunting new drama alongside Death in Paradise favourite Shantol Jackson, following a successful lawyer whose trip to Jamaica takes an unsettling turn. She’s there to resolve an inheritance dispute. Instead, she discovers the estate at the centre of the case is the very same house that has been appearing in her dreams. From there, the story begins pulling together buried family history, supernatural unease, and secrets stretching across generations, with each episode making the mystery stranger than the last. Viewers have already praised the series as “excellent” and remarkably difficult to stop watching. The inheritance was supposed to reveal a fortune. Instead, it begins revealing a past that refuses to stay buried. And the closer she gets to understanding why that house has followed her into her dreams, the more impossible it becomes to escape what is waiting inside.

Congratulations! You’ve earned 1 point OK The five-part thriller, Possession, follows a young bi-racial lawyer who travels to a Jamaica to fight an inheritance claim – and…

Netflix’s Most-watched Rankings Have A New Crime Obsession. Rossif Sutherland Is Winning Over Viewers In This Small-town Murder Mystery—And His Hollywood Family Connection Is Another Surprise. The series is climbing Netflix’s most-watched rankings, with viewers getting hooked on Rossif Sutherland’s portrayal of detective Karl Alberg. After leaving big-city policing for a seemingly idyllic coastal community, Alberg quickly discovers that peaceful streets can hide murders, disappearances, and secrets that refuse to stay buried. Fans are praising Sutherland’s understated performance as the mystery deepens, but many are also discovering something unexpected about the actor himself.

Congratulations! You’ve earned 1 point OK Murder in a Small Town fans floored by Netflix star’s very famous family Murder in a Small Town is now available…

A bombshell Sussex decision has rocked royal circles — Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly preparing to move back to Britain THIS MONTH with Archie and Lilibet, six years after their dramatic exit. King Charles was reportedly only told on Sunday, while William and Kate have also been informed. But the biggest clue that this is far more than another UK visit is a major step Harry and Meghan are already said to have taken involving their children. Six years in America. A sudden royal U-turn. And a family move few saw coming.

Congratulations! You’ve earned 1 point OK Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Set for UK Return This Month With Archie and Lilibet Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are…

MISS UNFORGOTTEN? Then This One Deserves Your Full Attention. Nicola Walker Is At Her Best In This Gripping British Crime Thriller—and Viewers Are Already Calling It A Must-watch. If Unforgotten left you craving another intelligent, emotionally charged investigation, this lesser-known thriller could be exactly what you’ve been waiting for. Nicola Walker brings her trademark intensity to a tense British mystery filled with complicated characters, buried secrets, and revelations that keep the investigation moving. Rather than relying on cheap shocks, the drama builds its tension through atmosphere, character, and the slow discovery of what really happened. The mystery deepens. The secrets multiply. And Nicola Walker makes every moment count. For anyone missing the quiet intensity of Unforgotten, this could be the next British crime obsession worth discovering.

Congratulations! You’ve earned 1 point OK A true icon of primetime British drama, Nicola Walker has starred in some of the nation’s favourite crime shows. From ITV’s cold case…