Congratulations!
You've earned 1 point
Prince Harry Faces Major Court Ruling as Potentially Huge Legal Bill Looms After Daily Mail Case Defeat
Prince Harry is preparing to learn the financial consequences of his unsuccessful legal battle against the publisher of the Daily Mail, with a High Court decision on costs expected to reveal how much he and six other high-profile claimants will initially be required to pay.
The Duke of Sussex, 41, was among seven claimants — including Sir Elton John, Elizabeth Hurley, Sadie Frost and Baroness Doreen Lawrence — who brought legal action against Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL), alleging unlawful information gathering.
Their claims were dismissed in their entirety last month by Mr Justice Nicklin following an 11-week trial at London’s High Court. ANL had consistently denied the allegations.
Attention has now shifted from the outcome of the case to its potentially enormous financial consequences, with the court previously hearing that the publisher had incurred approximately £34.5 million in legal costs.
Court decision on costs expected

The next significant development is expected this week, when Mr Justice Nicklin is due to determine an interim costs payment.
ANL has sought almost £10 million from the seven claimants as an interim payment. Their legal team, meanwhile, offered £8 million and confirmed that insurance was in place covering costs of up to £16 million.
The final amount the claimants will ultimately have to pay has not yet been determined.
At the conclusion of the costs hearing, Mr Justice Nicklin said he would decide on a “global” interim figure that would then be divided between the seven claimants.
Payment is due by August 28.
That decision could provide the clearest indication yet of the financial impact of the failed litigation on Harry and his fellow claimants.
Harry criticised the judgment after his defeat
The case centred on allegations that journalists, private investigators and others working for ANL had obtained private information through unlawful methods.
The claimants alleged practices including voicemail interception, landline tapping and obtaining confidential information through deception.
ANL strongly denied wrongdoing throughout the proceedings.
Following the dismissal of their claims, Harry and Baroness Doreen Lawrence issued a strongly worded response, describing the judgment as a “complete and obvious whitewash”.
“We came to court seeking justice and accountability,” they said. “But we have received neither.”
Despite their criticism of the outcome, lawyers representing the claimants subsequently accepted that a costs order should follow their defeat.
£34.5 million legal bill at centre of dispute

The scale of ANL’s reported expenditure has now made the costs ruling particularly significant.
The High Court heard last month that the publisher had accumulated approximately £34.5 million in costs during the litigation.
ANL requested an interim payment approaching £10 million, while the claimants proposed £8 million.
Their lawyers also confirmed the existence of insurance providing up to £16 million in coverage. However, depending on the final costs assessment, a substantial difference could potentially remain.
The judge must now decide the appropriate interim figure before the broader costs are ultimately resolved.
Another important decision could increase the financial consequences

The amount itself is not the only issue still before the court.
Mr Justice Nicklin must also determine whether ANL’s costs should eventually be assessed on a standard or indemnity basis.
ANL argued at the previous hearing for indemnity costs, which could result in a more financially onerous outcome for the unsuccessful claimants.
Harry and the other claimants’ lawyers accepted that they should face a costs order following the dismissal of their case but argued that imposing indemnity costs would not be justified.
That distinction could therefore become highly significant when the final financial consequences are calculated.
Potential appeal takes a back seat

Questions surrounding a possible appeal have not yet been resolved.
Any arguments on that issue have been deferred while the court deals with costs, meaning the immediate focus remains on Mr Justice Nicklin’s forthcoming decision.
For Harry, the ruling marks another crucial stage in a legal battle that has already ended in a comprehensive courtroom defeat.
The claims themselves have been dismissed, but with £34.5 million in reported costs, an interim payment potentially running into millions and an August 28 payment deadline approaching, the financial aftermath of the case is only now beginning to become clear.