Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are preparing for a significant return to the UK, more than six years after stepping away from royal duties and establishing a new life in California — and King Charles has now been informed of their plans.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are expected to relocate to Britain by the end of August with their children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet. However, their return will not signal a comeback as working members of the Royal Family.
The King learned of the couple’s decision on Sunday and welcomes the prospect of spending more private time with Harry and his family.
The development comes just over a month after father and son met privately for lunch at Highgrove House, adding another significant chapter to Harry’s long-discussed hopes of rebuilding relationships with his family.
King Charles welcomes opportunity for more private family time
Despite Harry and Meghan’s move, the arrangements agreed when they stepped back from royal duties in 2020 remain unchanged.
The Sussexes will continue as private individuals and non-working royals. They have not been offered the “half-in, half-out” arrangement that was previously discussed around the time of their departure.
Prince William and Princess Kate have also been informed of the decision.

Perhaps one of the clearest indications that the move is intended to be substantial is the reported arrangement for Archie and Lilibet. The children have already been enrolled in British schools ahead of the new term beginning in September.
The Sussex family has lived primarily in Montecito, California, since leaving Britain, but the UK will now once again become part of their everyday family life.
Where will Harry and Meghan live?
The couple’s precise UK residence has not been disclosed.
However, it is understood that Harry and Meghan intend to live outside London in a private, non-royal property. They will also retain their Montecito home rather than abandoning their California base completely.
Meghan is expected to continue operating her lifestyle brand, As Ever, while living in Britain.
The arrangement will be very different from the Sussexes’ previous life in the UK.

Following their 2018 wedding, Queen Elizabeth II gave Harry and Meghan the use of Frogmore Cottage in Windsor. The property became their principal British residence before their departure for North America.
After Harry published his memoir Spare in 2023, the Sussexes were asked to return the keys to Frogmore Cottage.
Their latest move therefore does not represent a return to their former royal residence or their previous working roles.
The decision follows Harry’s private meeting with King Charles
The timing of the announcement is particularly notable because Harry met his father at Highgrove House just over a month ago.
The pair shared a private lunch during Harry’s visit to Britain, providing another opportunity for personal contact following years of tension within the Royal Family.
Harry has repeatedly made clear that he would like to repair his relationship with his relatives.

Speaking to the BBC previously, the Duke said he “would love a reconciliation” and expressed a desire to end the prolonged conflict.
“There’s no point continuing to fight anymore, life is precious,” he said.
Harry also referred specifically to his relationship with Charles, saying he did not want to continue fighting with his father because he did “not know how much longer my father has”.
Now, with the Sussex family preparing to spend considerably more time in Britain, Charles could have greater opportunities to see his younger son and grandchildren privately.
Harry had previously shown interest in returning home
There had already been indications that Harry was thinking about what life back in Britain might look like.
During the 2025 WellChild Awards, he spoke with British singer Joss Stone, who had returned to the UK after living in Nashville.
That Harry had been particularly interested in her family’s experience of moving home.

“He asked about how we were settling back in and was genuinely interested in our move home,” she recalled.
Stone added: “He’s just very warm and down-to-earth, as always. Maybe Harry will move back too. That would be nice.”
According to Stone, Harry was also interested in the benefits Britain could offer children.
“He was saying how wonderful the schools are here and how important community is for children,” she said.
Stone explained that those same considerations had influenced her own family’s decision to return, particularly the opportunity for children to grow up surrounded by family, friends and a strong sense of community.
A major change — but not a royal comeback
Harry and Meghan’s return represents a dramatic change from the life they have maintained since 2020, but it should not be confused with a reversal of their royal departure.
They will remain non-working royals, maintain their California residence and continue pursuing their independent projects.
Instead, the move appears to create a new arrangement in which Britain once again becomes a significant base for their family.
For King Charles, the most important consequence may be personal rather than constitutional.
After years in which Harry, Meghan, Archie and Lilibet have lived thousands of miles away in California, the King is reportedly welcoming the prospect of seeing more of his son and grandchildren away from official royal duties.
And following Harry’s private Highgrove reunion with his father just weeks ago, the Sussexes’ return could provide considerably more opportunities for those family ties to develop.